Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hostel - Movie Review

HOSTEL - MOVIE REVIEW

HE SAID:

Can you say "YUCK"? Every time there is a successful film, it is immediately followed by clones expecting to cash in. I cannot quite identify the original in this case, but there has been a whole raft of movies like WolfCreek, Saw I & II, Creep and so on and on and on.....

Hostel just continues this trend of cutting up people for amusement. Although there was a lot of hype surrounding this movie, if one carefully checked the credits, one would see that Quentin Tarrantino is the presenter. What does that even mean? This is just another way that Hollywood tries to cash in on famous people.

The other side of the story is that Slovakia has been absolutely trashed and they have expressed strong resentment at being portrayed in an unflattering manner.

I am big horror aficionado and I have to say that this one stinks up the big one.

A must miss movie, if there was ever one.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, I give this movie a 1.

SHE SAID:

I generally stay away from horror movies and I hated this one. It was completely horrible. From what little I know of the horror genre, the best kind of horror is the one where very little happens on screen but a lot happens in the mind of the viewer. Which was why Blair Witch Project was such a good horror movie.

By that count, this movie leaves nothing to the imagination. There is only so much blood and gore that a mind can take. We become desensitised after a while and the intention of the makers to shock just fall flat.

I would recommend that this movie be given a wide berth.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, I give this movie a 2.

No comments: